Why Do I Need Flood Insurance?
If you’re new to flood insurance, here are a few things you need to know:
- Flooding happens in all 50 states
- Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause thousands of dollars in damages
- About a foot of water can move a car
- Only 6 inches of water can knock a person off their feet
- ‘Flash Floods’ often bring walls of water 10-20 feet high
Homeowners insurance does not cover damage from floods. Even if your home is NOT in a special flood hazard area (High Risk Zone), you can still suffer from the effects of flooding.
Fun Fact: 25% of all flood claims come from low hazard flood zones. Homeowners who want flood protection have two basic choices: Standard or Preferred Risk Policies.
Flood Insurance FAQs
Common questions about flood insurance
Note: Information was provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) brochure, Protect Your Home Against Flood Damage.